University of Houston Summer Engineering
The Mentoring and Enrichment Seminar in Engineering Training (MESET) program is a one-week residential engineering introduction program for rising 12th graders. Two identical sessions will be offered. The program is limited to fifty students per camp session. Participants stay on the University of Houston campus in a dormitory. UH engineering students serve as camp mentors and counselors
The MESET curriculum includes:
- An introduction to the various disciplines of engineering ("What do engineers do?")
- Project-based learning (hands-on team project competitions involving engineering design)
- Site visits to Houston-area engineering companies
- Field trips
- Panel discussions by working engineers and current engineering students
- Fun at the campus sports and recreation center
How much does MESET cost?
The cost to attend MESET is $200 per camper. This cost is all you are asked to pay for your housing, meals, field trips, transportation, and supplies for the one-week program. Students may also want to have pocket money for vending machines or laundry facilities in the dorm.
A limited number of scholarships are available to help defray the cost of the camp for promising candidates who might otherwise be unable to attend. Successful scholarship candidates are students who are eligible for their high school free or reduced lunch program, or can otherwise demonstrate need. Scholarships will not apply towards the $50 confirmation fee (this must be paid by all participants), but may be applied toward the balance of $150. If you wish to be considered for a scholarship, please download and complete the Scholarship Application form and mail the completed form with your other application materials to:
E301 Engineering Building 2
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4010
Who should apply to MESET?
- The MESET schedule is intensive, so only committed, enthusiastic students with an interest in math and science should apply.
- Candidates must be "rising seniors" in high school, i.e. they will have completed their junior year by camp start and be entering senior year in the fall of 2009.
- Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents
- Females and underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Texas residents are given first consideration for MESET
- Students who pass the preliminary acceptance process will be interviewed by telephone by our staff.
- Street: E316 Engineering Bldg 2
- City: Houston
- State: TX
- Postcode: 77204-4010
- Country: United States
- Telephone: 713-743-4222