Greenheart Travel (part of Center for Cultural Interchange, or CCI Greenheart) is a non-profit international education exchange organization dedicated to promoting academic development, cultural understanding, environmental consciousness and world peace. Based in Chicago, Illinois, Greenheart Travel organizes high school exchange, volunteer, work & travel, and language study programs around the world. CCI Greenheart has been recognized by the Mayor of Chicago and the City Council for the promotion of international education, environmental awareness and citizen diplomacy.
High School Abroad Program – Ages 15-18
A high school abroad program is the best investment you can make in your future right now. Whether you choose to spend three months, a semester or an entire academic year abroad you will gain:
- Fluency in another language and culture
- Greater maturity and independence
- Lifelong international friendships
- An international perspective and broader world view
- A competitive edge over your peers on college and job applications
During your program abroad, you will live with a host family, attend a local high school, and experience daily life in the country of your choice. Greenheart Travel offers a limited number of scholarships for its High School Abroad Program.
Why choose Greenheart Travel for your High School Abroad program?
- Experience: As part of CCI Greenheart, Greenheart Travel has been a leader in cultural exchange for more than 25 years.
- Choice: High school abroad programs in 18 countries worldwide.
- Flexible programs: More semester and three month program options make studying abroad more practical and affordable
- Support: Friendly and experienced counselors provide expert guidance throughout the process, from choosing the best program for you to helping you get the most out of your time abroad. A local counselor and 24 hour emergency support are available to you in your host community throughout your program.
- Additional services such as language tutoring and exciting excursions are offered in many destinations.
I have recently come back from my exchange program in Asti, Italy for a semester. I wanted to let you all know how much that experience has changed my life and how much I appreciate all you did for me in making my dream of living in Italy a reality. -Caitlin Jefko, High School Abroad participant in Italy
Living with a Host Family
For decades, the cross-cultural homestay has been considered the best educational vehicle for the development of real international understanding. Students accepted to Greenheart Travel's High School Abroad Program have profound opportunities for cultural immersion by living with a well-screened host family while attending a local high school abroad.
Host families are volunteer families with the exception of Ireland, Australia, Ecuador, New Zealand and Spain, where families receive a small remuneration to offset the expense of hosting. Each host family agrees to provide its international "son or daughter" with meals and his or her own bed. Just as in the U.S., every family is different. You may share a room with a host sibling or have your own room. You may have younger, older or no host siblings. Both parents may work or your host mother may work in the home. Many host families have hosted participants from a number of different countries over the years. For others, hosting is a first time experience. As you can see, host families represent all walks of life. Host families do not want or expect a "boarder," but rather a new friend and family member. They look forward to welcoming you into their family!
- Country: United States
- Telephone: 1-888-887-6891